CVSup questions

Jay O'Brien jayobrien at att.net
Tue Nov 23 19:58:29 PST 2004

I have a system that right now I'm using to learn FreeBSD. I want to go
through the update process that I assume I'll have to follow regularly
once the computer is up and running as a web and mail server.  Right
now I'm not concerned about backups; that's my next project.

I'm attempting to follow "Using CVSup" and learn how CVSup works. See:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html

Questions about CVSup:

1. Where should I place supfile?  Obviously I could put it anywhere
and make it work, but is there a usual place for it? I can't find
where the manual makes a suggestion. Do I have a need for more than
one supfile?

2. I am running 5.3 RELEASE. It appears that if I specify "*default
tag=." that I will be getting updates from "current". Is this what I
should do, given that I want to stay current on security and bug
fixes, but I don't (at this time) intend to get involved with beta
testing?  Or should I specify *default tag=RELENG_5_3? And, if I do
that, will the ports be updated, including adding new ports?

3. The tutorial at http://www.us-webmasters.com/FreeBSD/Install/
after item 68 describes CVSup. It suggests using the supfile
/usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile which gets the "ports-all"
collection. However, the Using CVSup manual says to get "src-all",
that includes ports-all. Is there some reason to use ports-all, not
src-all as suggested by the handbook?

4. The tutorial (see 3 above) item 97 concludes, after running cvsup,
"FreeBSD is installed, CONGRATULATIONS!" Isn't this a bit premature?
It seems to me that at that point I need to rebuild world per
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/book.html#MAKEWORLD
to apply the new files and bring the system up to date. Am I missing
something?

Jay O'Brien
Rio Linda, California, USA