5.3-STABLE - system after few hours

Nikolas Britton freebsd at nbritton.org
Tue Nov 23 07:06:48 PST 2004

Piotr Gnyp wrote:

>Hi,
>after upgrade from 5.2.1 o 5.3-STABLE my system started to reboot on regular
>basis. The error message on screen (not always showing):
>
>Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
>cpuid = 0; apic id=03
>fault virtual address = 0x1c
>fault code = supervisor write, page not present
>instruction pointer = 0x8:0xc04ce84b
>stack pointer = 0x10:0xea54f9co
>frame pointer = 0x10:0xea54f9cc
>code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff type 0x1b
>	     = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1 , gran 1
>procesor eflags = interrupt cenabled, resume, IOPL=0
>current process = 11445 (screen)
>trap number = 12
>panic: page fault
>cpuid = 0
>boot() called on cpu#0
>
>[14:16] [toread at discordia]:~>> uname -r
>5.3-STABLE
>
>[14:16] [toread at discordia]:~>> pkg_info | grep screen
>screen-4.0.2_1      A multi-screen window manager
>
>system has been tested with memtest and cpuburn - no errors were detected.
>
>Please advice.

The first problem is your trying to run 5.3-STABLE. the -STABLE tag does
NOT mean the system will be stable it mean the code base is relatively
stable compared to -CURRENT. Until FreeBSD 5.x matures a bit more (maybe
after 5.5-Release) normal users should NOT be tracking -STABLE. Change
your cvsup-supfile to RELENG_5_3, cvsup to 5.3-RELEASE-p1, and rebuild
your system.