make -j$n buildworld : use of -j investigated

Nagilum freebsd at nagilum.org
Mon Nov 22 22:47:59 PST 2004

The idea behind the speedups by using n>number of CPUs is that you use
unused CPU cycles during disk activity. Obviously this works only on
systems which use 'low CPU usage storage' such as SCSI, firewire or more
prominently NFS for the sources. Of cause this also assumes you don't
have any performance penalties due to increased swap usage...
So in a 'normal' IDE environment it probably wont make a difference.
Regarding your test, I'd say don't trust your results unless you have
rebootet the machine betweeen the tests, otherwise the cache will mess
up your results.
Kind regards,
Alex.