NEW: cannot ssh to my computer

epilogue epilogue at allstream.net
Mon Nov 22 20:43:17 PST 2004

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 22:37:19 -0500
Ivan Georgiev <georgiev at vt.edu> wrote:

> > > Just another thing ...
> > >
> > > If I remove myself from the group wheel then I CAN ssh to my
> > > computer; if I put myself back to wheel - then CANNOT ssh to the
> > > computer.
> > >
> > > How can I ssh and be a member of the wheel group?
> >
> > hello ivan,
> >
> > it might be worth your while to check /etc/login.access to see if
> > you have refused remote logins by wheel.
> >
> > hth,
> > epi
>
> Thank you so very much Epi !!!
>
> I guess I have put this
> -:wheel:ALL EXCEPT LOCAL
> in /etc/login.access but had no recollection of doing it. After
> commenting it out the problem is gone.

hello again ivan,

fwiw, your 'problem' may actually be better than your 'solution'.  with
all the script kiddies who are running ssh brute force attempts against
the root user account (check your logs), it is wise to use 'su' or
'sudo' to elevate your priveleges on that box, rather than logging in
as root.

naturally, you can harden ssh somewhat and even restrict logins by
ip addy in login.access, but if you're not doing that, i humbly suggest
that you think twice about enabling root ssh to your box.

cheers,
epi