unsure about /etc/hosts

Oliver Fuchs oliverfuchs at onlinehome.de
Mon Nov 22 20:14:33 PST 2004

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Dick Davies wrote:

> * Oliver Fuchs <oliverfuchs at onlinehome.de> [1107 21:07]:
>
> > # Host Database
> > #
> > # This file should contain the addresses and aliases for local hosts that
> > # share this file.  Replace 'my.domain' below with the domainname of your
> > # machine.
> > #
> > #
> > ::1			localhost localhost.my.domain
> > 127.0.0.1		localhost localhost.my.domain
> >
> > So my hostname is I.and.I so the /etc/hosts entry must be:
> > ::1			localhost localhost.and.I
> > 127.0.0.1		localhost localhost.and.I
> >
> > Now regarding some programs (e.g. mutt) this option is not able to deliver
> > mail locally instead putting it in /var/spool/mqueue or
> > /var/spool/clientmqueue.
> >
> > If I use this:
> > ::1			localhost I.and.I
> > 127.0.0.1		localhost I.and.I
>
> This sets your hostname to point to the localhost address - is that what you
> want? Normally, you set your hostname to a public IP (or at least a network
> connected IP)
>
> i.e.
>
> ::1			localhost localhost.and.I
> 127.0.0.1		localhost localhost.and.I
> 1.2.3.4	I.and.I

What I would like to know is the localhost entry. I always thought you
absolutely need this entry in /etc/hosts and it is the first entry to be
made? But I am not quiet sure about the way how to set the localhost name
right in /etc/hosts.
 From what I have read I found three possibilities:

::1			I.and.I	I	localhost
127.0.0.1		I.and.I	I	localhost
::1			localhost localhost.and.I
127.0.0.1		localhost localhost.and.I
::1			localhost I.and.I
127.0.0.1		localhost I.and.I

Which one is the correct way to define localhost?

Oliver

> Jah love.
>

> --
> Oh how awful. Did he at least die peacefully? ....To shreds you say, tsk tsk tsk.
> Well, how's his wife holding up? ....To shreds, you say... - Prof. Farnsworth
> Rasputin :: Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns

... don't touch the bang bang fruit