Setting up Postfix with PosgreSQLon FreeBSD

Ryan J. Cavicchioni ryan at confabulator.net
Mon Nov 22 14:28:21 PST 2004

Bill,

These instructions have always worked for me:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.2/static/installation.html

The important thing is to make sure you use gmake when compiling.

Here is a quick install that I modified to work on BSD:

./configure
gmake
su
gmake install
pw useradd postgres
mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
chown postgres /usr/local/pgsql/data
su postgres
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data >logfile 2>&1 &
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/createdb test
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql test

I hope that this helps.

Regards,