openssl 0.9.7e

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Nov 22 10:52:59 PST 2004

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 11:14:26AM -0600, J.D. Bronson wrote:

> shadow# make distclean
> ===>  Cleaning for perl-5.8.5
> ===>  Cleaning for openssl-0.9.7e_1
> ===>  Deleting distfiles for openssl-0.9.7e_1
> shadow# make -DOPENSSL_OVERWRITE_BASE
> #
> # this ports does not support the dynamic root
> # please undefine OPENSSL_OVERWRITE_BASE
> # and use WITH_OPENSSL_PORT=yes instead.
> #
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/security/openssl.
> shadow#
>
> ===================================
> Nope. No luck.
>
> If I can find out who maintains this port then maybe they could explain?
> I mean how hard can this be (even to document within the Makefile) ?

OK.  You're on a recent 5.x system that has dynamically linked
software in the root partition -- on older FreeBSD versions, stuff in
/bin would generally be statically linked.

The port is very helpfully stopping you shooting yourself in the foot
by scribbling all over /lib/libcrypto.so which presumably is now a
critical file required so that the system will boot.

It's also probably pointless replacing the base version of the OpenSSL
shlibs with the ports version, because they are probably pretty much
exactly the same code.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way