firefox & thunderbird upgrade problem

Gary Aitken garya at dreamchaser.org
Mon Nov 22 10:18:17 PST 2004

Answering my own question in case it's relevant to anyone else.

The lynux article quoted below is useless; the missing library is
the result of the library search path not being set up correctly
because the startup script was bypassed when firefox was started
directly.  doh.

I managed to get both firefox and thunderbird working properly by
using the big stick:
   deinstall firefox
   deinstall thunderbird
   deinstall preferences-firefox
   mv .firefox and .thunderbird directories out of the way in both
   user and root accounts
   check installation directories (/usr/X11R6/...) for remnants of
   firefox and thunderbird and remove them.  In the process I found
   an old firefox install directory that shouldn't be causing problems,
   but also shouldn't have been there.
   pkgdb -F
   portupgrade -N -R www/firefox mail/thunderbird

After install, log in as root and run thunderbird and firefox.

I set up thunderbird from scratch, rather than moving my old profile
over, then moved the old mail files over (using a new name for any
duplicates, e.g. mv Inbox from old dir to Inbox_old in new dir).

It's not at all clear to me what the problem was, since I had
previously tried deinstall and reinstall with no luck.  The main
difference was removing both ports before reinstalling, removing
the old, unused firefox stuff, and doing pkgdb -F before the
portupgrade.   In any case, the above steps resurrected a sane world
where I could save preferences, <ctrl>T opened new tabs and loaded
the url in them, and all mail files were usable.