not all files in a NTFS-directory are visible in FreeBSD

Paul Kaletta paul at ewido.net
Mon Nov 22 05:36:47 PST 2004

Hi,

I'm running FreeBSD 5.2.1 and observed the following phenomenon:

it seems that the FreeBSD-NTFS-filesystem doesn't show all files that
are in a directory. My mp3 Directory is located on a Win XP
NTFS-Partition.

The directory contains about 1500 files (it has several subdirectories
that contain even more files), and maybe 10 files (from the top
mp3-Directory) are not visible in FreeBSD (I diffed the output of ls
from cygwin under Windows against FreeBSD's ls).

The files that don't show up have similar filenames. Maybe 5 or so files
that start with "Eric Clapton -" and another 5 that start with "Nirvana -"
don't show up. The files were created at different times however (not
even the same week). And another invisible file starts with another
string that comes alphabetically after "Eric Clapton".

Other files that start with these strings show up, however (maybe 3 for
each artist).

I hope there is a solution.

Bye

Paul