Restarting rc.conf

Daniel Bye freebsd-questions at slightlystrange.org
Mon Nov 22 03:45:40 PST 2004

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 12:18:05PM +0100, v.demartino2 at virgilio.it wrote:
> I set up a postgresql server under FreeBDSD 5.3 stable.
>
> My question: if I modify rc.conf either directly or via sysinstall  how
> can I make the system be aware of that WITHOUT REBOOTING, in other words,
> how can I make FreeBSD execute the modified rc.conf?

It very much depends on the type of changes you have made in
/etc/rc.conf.  If you have altered the start-up flags for an application
installed from ports, simply run its rc script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d,
and provided it understands rcNG (which the vast majority I have come
across lately do), your changes will be picked up as expected.

This also holds true of most services invoked by the rc scripts in
/etc/rc.d/ - call the script with the "restart" argument, and all should
work.

If you have altered interface configs (changed IP address, for example)
you will need to use ifconfig to make the changes live.

HTH

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3B9D 8BBB EB03 BA83 5DB4 3B88 86FC F03A 90A1 BE8F
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \