FreeBSD 5.3 + any smtp server, Refuses to receive any emails...

Brian Bobowski bbobowski at cogeco.ca
Sun Nov 21 16:11:25 PST 2004

Erik Ellis wrote:

>FreeBSD 5.3 + any smtp server, Refuses to receive any emails from any
>external domain EXEPT bredband.net, witch  is odd, cuz I haven't entered
>anything about bredband.net.
>
>Right now im using Sendmail, but iwe tried postfix but I get the same
>problem. No errors in logs, no errors from "Postmaster". It just wont work.
>What can be the problem.
>
>Don't think theres any dns problems cuz its all updated and as I said. It
>works when I send email from @bredband.net and @ellisdesign.org
><mailto:ellis at ellisdesign.org>  but not from anything else.

Does your ISP allow incoming SMTP connections? Not all ISPs do,
especially if they don't expect their users to be running servers. See
if you can get someone outside your ISP to try connecting to the SMTP
port on your machine. If they get a connection refusal, then somewhere
along the line, that port is being blocked.

-BB