Where to install DNS?

Francisco Reyes lists at natserv.com
Sun Nov 21 12:18:41 PST 2004

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004, Laszlo Antal wrote:

> Where is the best place to install DNS??

Depends.

> Does it have to be on a separate computer,

No.

> or can I install it on the same machine with the web and ftp server?

You can.

Depending on the machine (ie CPU, Memory) and how much combined usage you
have you should be able to run all your servers off the same machine...
from a performance standpoint.

Security is another issue.
In particular you need to have public FTP? It is safer to use scp.

Also what kind of DNS will this be? A backup DNS, primary or caching?
Only time I can think performance would be an issue is if you were to run
a primary DNS for a very buy domain or domains.