Tracing Disk Activity

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sun Nov 21 08:17:58 PST 2004

Hanspeter Roth wrote:
> I have set an idle timeout for the hard-disk. But when there is no
> user activity there are frequent disk accesses.

Yes, this is Unix.  Even when there is no user activity, a Unix system
normally is still running a number of daemons such as syslogd which regularly
write to the filesystem.  Beyond that, the syncer mechanism tries to reduce
the number of dirty memory buffers every thirty seconds or so.

> How can one trace disk access?
> I'd like to know the kind of access and on which files/directories/
> nodes. I'd like to log on the console or on a memory disk file.

If you ask this question in the hopes of shutting down disk access long enough
to permit your drives to spin down, then please be aware that such an answer
won't help.

Instead you probably will need to mount filesystems read-only and create RAM
disks in a fashion similar to booting off limited-write media like Compact
Flash.  Either that, or simply shutdown the system or run zzz to suspend the
system via APM/APCI.

--
-Chuck