Looking for a good NSS/Pam_LDAP/Open LDAP how-to for 5.x

Cezar Fistik cezar at arax.md
Sun Nov 21 06:18:28 PST 2004

Hello Jon,

Sunday, November 21, 2004, 3:16:27 PM, you wrote:

JA> I tried this one:
JA> http://www.cultdeadsheep.org/FreeBSD/docs/Quick_and_dirty_FreeBSD_5_x_and_nss_ldap_mini-HOWTO.html

JA> and it emphatically does not work, and I followed it to the letter.... I
JA> think it has something to do with NSS only using SSL/port 636.

JA> so then I tried it with that added.... still no dice

I followed the above howto word by word too and it didn't work from
the first try. So I made some searches, I think on pamldap or on
openldap mailing lists, don't remember exactly, and found another
explanation on how to set things up. As far as I remember, my problem
was with ldap.conf and nss_ldap.conf files which reside in
/usr/local/etc/. This files must be identical, so you may symlink
them, as I did. After that everything started to work, in my case ssh
through pam_ldap.

Unfortunately, my detailed configs are at work, so if you won't find
anything I'll post them on monday.

--
Best regards,
 Cezar                            mailto:cezar at arax.md