"amr0: bad slot x completed" and fsck_ufs hanging

Marco Beishuizen marco at beishuizen.info
Sun Nov 21 03:23:59 PST 2004

On stardate Sun, 21 Nov 2004, the wise Panagiotis Christias entered:

> the only hint I could find is from the amr(4) man page:
>
>  amr%d: bad slot %d completed
>
>  The controller reported completion of a command that the driver did not
>  issue.  This may result in data corruption, and suggests a hardware or
>  firmware problem with the system or controller.
>
> Do you have a second controller available to test? We have the same
> controllers in several of our servers and I would interested to find
> out what is the problem just in case..

Unfortunately it's the only controller I have so I can't test it with an
other controller.

It looks a bit strange that it could be a hardware or firmware problem
because the system is brand new. But does this mean I should update my
firmware to a newer version?

Since you don't seem to have any problems with FreeBSD on this controller
I'm also interested in your configuration. Did you do anything special in
the BIOS of the controller or something?

Thanks,

Marco

--
If Patrick Henry thought that taxation without representation was bad,
he should see how bad it is with representation.