install: which cdrom?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sun Nov 21 00:50:52 PST 2004

On Sat, Nov 20, 2004 at 06:48:22PM -0500, Chuck Robey wrote:
> I'm getting ready to do my last install (out of 3) ... on the sparc64 this
> time, but I'd like to kknow one thing ... the instructions on cdrom
> booting keep on referring only to "the cdrom" although there are 3
> different cdroms that I *think* are bootable... there's the miniinst, the
> disk1, and the bootonly ... heck, if the disc-2 is bootable (I tihnk it's
> the live filesystem, so I doubt that one is) then there's even 4 choices
> .. and I don't know which one the instructions are referring to.

They are all bootable, but disk2 doesn't get you into the installer,
and bootonly has none of the stuff you need to install actually on it
(ie. it's designed for installing over the net).

miniinst and disk1 are equivalent for this purpose: they contain
mostly the same stuff, but disk1 also contains a selection of popular
packages.

> The sparc-64 instructions say, after giving the 'boot cdrom' inf, to put
> in the cdrom, but which of the 3 do they mean?

disk1 or miniinst.  Or you can use bootonly, but you'll need to have
the machine connected to the network and able to ftp what it needs
from the FreeBSD servers (the installation procedure will walk you
through configuring your network interface).

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way