Post screw-up recovery - "invisible" ports?

Andrew Robinson andrewr at uidaho.edu
Sat Nov 20 22:40:57 PST 2004

Hi everyone,

after a botched upgrade from 5.2.1 to 5.3, which became a
reinstallation, I have the following dilemma.  I have about 300 ports
installed, but only a few of them are identified by my port
maintenance apparatus.  For example, if I do portversion, it finds the
objects in

/var/db/pkg

but I can run programs that are not there.  Presumably the ones there
are those that I have installed since my upgrade.

Is there any easy way around this problem?  I suppose that what I'm
asking is, is there any other location in which installed ports are
identified?  I assume that I ought to reinstall them anyway.

Thanks,

Andrew
--
Andrew Robinson                      Ph: 208 885 7115
Department of Forest Resources       Fa: 208 885 6226
University of Idaho                  E : andrewr at uidaho.edu
PO Box 441133                        W : http://www.uidaho.edu/~andrewr
Moscow ID 83843                      Or: http://www.biometrics.uidaho.edu
No statement above necessarily represents my employer's opinion.