Thunderbird 0.9_2 Stalls at Startup

William Bloom wbloom at eldocomp.com
Sat Nov 20 19:56:37 PST 2004

I upgraded my FreeBSD/GNOME desktop from 5.2.1 to 5.3 early last week, refreshed
my ports collection, upgraded from XFree86 to Xorg.  I added the recommended
libc_r/libpthread entries into libmap.conf for the sake of the already existing
ports that had some library references to libc_r.  All was well so far, no major
problems.  I upgraded a few ports, including firefox.  Again, this all worked
out albeit I was briefly stymied by the firefox Xvfb extension/theme
auto-registration issues that have been the cause of a few other postings in
this list.

But my luck turned sour when I upgraded my thunderbird port to 0.9_2.  The new
thunderbird would start, seemingly display the IMAP authentication panel
briefly, almost too fast to see, then churn its busy cursor until I killed it.
This behavior was repeatable even when I renamed my ~/.thunderbird directory to
give thunderbird a clean slate, so the problem wasn't in my .thunderbird contents.

Interestingly, the package from ftp.freebsd.org (5-stable) installed and ran
fine.  Being concerned that something might be fundamentally wrong with my
desktop build environment, I looked at the differences between the downloaded
package and my build.

What I discovered is that my own build of thunderbird had created a GNOME
component during the build (libmozgnome.so), which was installed in...

   /usr/X11R6/lib/thunderbird/lib/thunderbird-0.9/components/

The downloaded package did -not- have this component.  Experimentally, I deleted
libmozgnome.so and found that the oddball startup-and-stall problem vanished and
thunderbird has been working just fine ever since.

I know I'm working with a thunderbird that's had a revision or so since the
package was built.  I see from a brief perusal of the sources that the
libmozgnome.so component is only built under certain conditions (certain GNOME
libraries/features are checked and must all be present).  I'm guessing that the
downloadable package must either been built in the absence of one or more of
these libraries -or- the port revision from which that package was built had not
enabled GNOME component support.  My GNOME ports were last brought up-to-date
about six weeks ago.   Also, I notice that the libmozgnome.so component
(toolkit/components/gnome in the thunderbird mozilla source tree) is fairly new;
it showed up in version 0.8 (I never used that version).

Anyone else seen this problem?

Looks like the purpose of libmozgnome.so is to add support for GNOME VFS and Gconf.

Bill
--
William Bloom <wbloom at eldocomp.com> (602) 604-3100
Eldorado Computing, Inc.  5353 North 16th Street, Suite 400

-- CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE --

This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended addressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose or distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received this message in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email, and delete the message. Thank you.