what should i have in resolv.conf & hosts

Ash omniBSD at speakeasy.net
Sat Nov 20 08:36:44 PST 2004

Danny Browne wrote:
> Browsers in fluxbox (and gnome when i treid that switching to that) take forever to fetch webpages (2 mins on a DSL line). but the speed is normal when using ping or ftp or whatever from terminal/console.
> are my reslov.conf and hosts file entrys correct?
>
> resolv.conf just has:
>
> nameserver 192.168.1.254
>
> hosts has:
>
> ::1 localhost localhost.my.domain
> 127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.my.domain
> 192.168.1.3 VaioBSD VaioBSD.eircom.net

[SNIP]

Danny,

I assume that by "browsers" you mean a Mozilla derived browser compiled
as a native FreeBSD binary (vs a Linux binary running under emulation).
There seems to be a known issue the way Mozilla resolves under FreeBSD.
There were some good threads in the news groups and mailing lists on
this; You should be able to find them via groups.google.com by searching
for something along the lines of "mozilla DNS slow".

There are few couple of reported ways to get around the resolvers issue.
I've read that disabling IPv6 in your kernel will help. Installing the
Linux native ports (e.g. www/linux-mozillafirebird or www/linux-mozilla)
is also reported to work. I haven't tried either of the fore mentioned
workarounds, so I don't know if they work or are still applicable.

I route my web traffic through the Squid proxy (available as a FreeBSD
port www/squid). As a result, I'm not affected by the resolvers issue
since Squid is handling DNS resolution for browsers on my network.

I'm not saying my work around is the best fix; I just happened to need a
proxy on my network so it was a convenient fix way for me to deal with
this issue.

-Ash