Cannot CVSUP - permission denied.

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Fri Nov 19 21:34:41 PST 2004

On Friday 19 November 2004 09:11 pm, robg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Running 5.3 and behind a firewall, tried cvsuping and spits back:
>
> Parsing supfile "ports-supfile"
> Connecting to cvsup3.us.FreeBSD.org
> Cannot connect to cvsup3.us.FreeBSD.org: Permission denied
> Will retry at 00:14:51
>
> People said it might be because of the firewall ,but I never had this
> problem before when I ran the same firewall script.  Do certain ports
> need to be opened?

Did you try a different server? When they have too many connections you get
different messages. I never run cvsup until at least 15-20 minutes after the
hour. I find that a mirror update takes around 10 minutes. It can be longer.
If you want the current set, you need to wait until the mirror has updated.
They all schedule on the hour.

There is a port called fastest_cvsup. It will give you an idea of response
times. That isn't always the fastest cvsup session but it is a good hint.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA