pf/altq prioritisation (for ssh).

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Nov 19 08:39:10 PST 2004

Lewis Thompson wrote:
>   I'm pretty sure this ``works'' but I was really hoping for more.
> Without the 5.3 miniinst ISO downloading a SSH connection is perfect (no
> lag, just like the local machine) but as soon as I set it going it
> becomes a bit laggy.  Am I expecting too much to have a lag-free SSH
> connection while downloading something at the same time?  Any other
> alternatives?

You didn't mention what your connection speed was, and whether it is
asymmetrical (for example, 768/128 ADSL is common).

However, using ssh with compression (-C flag?) offers significant improvement
for interactive use in low-bandwidth situations, such as trying to SSH and
download a 200MB ISO image at the same time over a 56Kbs dialup link.  :-)

Also, you will probably benefit if you priorize DNS and NTP traffic as well,
by adding 53 & 123 (both UDP and TCP) to the high-priority queue.

--
-Chuck