can't get rid of this file with trailing backslash?

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Fri Nov 19 06:50:07 PST 2004

On Nov 19, 2004, at 9:09 AM, Hexren wrote:

> AF> I was editing my named.conf and somehow saved the file
> AF> with a trailing backslash and I can't get rid of it.
>
> AF> -rw-r--r--   1 root  bind    18314 Nov 18 11:35 named.conf
> AF> -rw-r--r--   1 root  bind    18314 Nov 18 11:07
> named.conf.save.11-18
> AF> -rw-r--r--   1 root  bind    17389 Nov 18 10:58 named.conf\
> AF> -rw-r--r--   1 bind  bind     2602 May 25 17:28 named.root
>
> AF> I was using nano and have no clue how I did it.
> AF> If I rm named.conf\ it removes the named.conf.
>
> AF> So how do I get rid of named.conf\  ?
>
> AF> Andy

> only shooting in the blue here but have you tried rm 'named.conf\' so
> as to instruct the sheel to ignore any special chars it sees. Or rm
> named.conf\\ (I seem to recall that you the backslash is the escape
> sequenze for the bash so escaping a backslash should lead to a literal
> backslash. *guessing*

My first instinct would be
cp named.conf backupnamed.conf
rm named.con*
mv backupnamed.conf named.conf

:-)

I'm too paranoid that I know what *should* work wouldn't or would still
end up deleting the original file I wanted, so I'd have to make a
backup of the file and do it that way rather than play with escapes and
quotes.