PCMCIA Wireless Card Question

Loren M. Lang lorenl at alzatex.com
Fri Nov 19 01:03:34 PST 2004

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 01:21:58PM -0600, Andrew L. Gould wrote:
> On Thursday 18 November 2004 12:42 pm, Tom Connolly wrote:
> > Andrew L. Gould wrote:

> > > Based on your email, I will assume that you purchased a compatible
> > > wireless adapter.
> > >
> > > 1. Make sure your pccard slots work in FreeBSD 5.3.  There's no use
> > > in struggling with the pccard if the slots don't work.
> > >
> > > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/laptop/x58.html
> > >

> > > 2. Make sure your kernel is configured for your hardware.  You may
> > > have to add devices to your kernel:
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfi
> >g.h tml
> >
> > > 3. Configure your wireless connection:
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-wir
> >ele ss.html
> >
> > > Have fun,
> > >
> > > Andrew Gould
> >
> > Oops, I guess I missed the top line in the Handbook that I can skip
> > making device nodes since I am using FreeBSD 5.3.  I assume I still
> > have to add the entry for the kernel though.  Is that correct?  Then
> > I assume I have to recompile the kernel which I have never done
> > before.  Is this also correct?  Sorry for the remedial questions.  I
> > as still a newbie.
> >
> > Tom
>
> For the atheros chipset, you'll need to add the following to your kernel
> config file:
>
> device ath
> device ath_hal

Couldn't he just do something like kldload ath as root and skipping
compiling a new kernel?  While I do see advantages to compiling a
kernel, having to do so everytime you add a new pccard or usb device is
just pointless, IMHO.  In linux I just compiled a kernel with modules
for everything but the core devices to boot my machine, and did it just
once per system.  If I added a new device, I may have to change the
kernel config, but I'd just have to compile a couple modules and load
them, but didn't need to install a new kernel or even reboot.  In
freebsd, I believe I heard everything is always compiled as a module
that can be so I'd think just kldload ath would work even though there
may be no reference to ath in the kernel config.  ath_hal and wlan may
also need to be loaded, I'm not sure as I have yet to try out my
wireless card with freebsd.