Installation Question 5.3-RELEASE

Eric Kjeldergaard kjelderg at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 20:22:24 PST 2004

> I have the 5.3-RELEASE CD which I have used to install 5.3 on a laptop
> I have.  I would like to add packages/ports now but have a slight
> issue.  The laptop doesn't have internet access.  Nor is there any
> easy way to put it on the internet.  How can I go about installing
> both packages and ports on this laptop?

There are many packages that came with the CDs upon release.  Those
are always available to you.  It seems as though you must have some
method of getting to the internet.  If you acquire packages or
required distribution files for building a given port via the internet
and then put it on transferrable media (like a CD-RW, for instance)
you should be able to install them off of that media.  For ports, you
get the files that the given port requires (in
/usr/ports/<portcategory>/<portname>/distinfo, IIRC) and put them in
/usr/ports/distfiles and for packages, you simply get the package and
pkg_add <packageFile>.

--
If I write a signature, my emails will appear more personalised.