No output from Kernel Booting Up or /dev/console

Ash omniBSD at speakeasy.net
Thu Nov 18 17:27:54 PST 2004

Tabor Kelly wrote:
> The is on a Dell Inspiron 1100 notebook (celeron 2.3Ghz) running FreeBSD
> 5.3R. When I boot my laptop I see the Beastie menu, and after making a
> selection, I get no output from boot1 or the kernel. So, when my laptop
>  is done booting, my screen looks like this:
>
> /boot/kernel/acpi.ko text=0x3fbfc data=0x1c04+0x112c
> syms=[0x4+0x72f0+0x4+0x97c7
> ]
> -
> FreeBSD/i386 (laptop.taborandtashell.net) (ttyv0)
>
> login:
>
> Also, nothing that would normally be displayed on ttyv0 via /dev/console
>  (syslog stuff) is there. Booting with ACPI disabled does not help. The
> weird thing is that this didn't used to happen. Right before all of this
> started, I was trying to get my touch pad working and I:
>
> 1. ran /stand/sysinstall and played with mouse settings.
>
> 2. edited /etc/rc.conf
>
> 3. created /boot/device.hints (I tried removing device.hints, it didn't
> help)

[SNIP]

Tabor,

Is it possible that your console is being redirected to a com port? The
handbook covers this topic in section 20.6.

Also some quick info that might help you out:

There are a few places that this can be configured: boot.conf,
/boot/loader.conf, /boot/loader.conf.local or /boot/loader.rc.

If /boot.conf refer to the Handbook Section 20.6 as well as boot(8)'s
man page.

In either /boot/loader.conf or /boot/loader.conf.local for the following
line:

	console=comconsole

In /boot/loader.rc check for:

	set console=comconsole

To set your console to display on your monitor using /boot/loader.conf
or /boot/loader.conf.local set (or replace) the following:

	console=vidconsole

In /boot/loader.rc

	console=vidconsole

Good Luck,