Upgrading 5.3-Beta1 to 5.3-RELEASE

Adam Smith adam at internode.com.au
Thu Nov 18 14:34:08 PST 2004

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 01:15:15PM -0800, Curtis Vaughan said:

> > o  update from cvs
> >      # cd /usr/src
> >      # make update
> > o  build world/kernel in your normal or single-user mode
> >      # cd /usr/obj
> >      # rm -rf *
> >      # cd /usr/src
> >      # make buildworld
> >      # make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOURKERNEL
> > o  install kernel/world in single user mode
> >      # reboot [ Choose single User Mode ]
> >      # cd /usr/src
> >      # make installkernel KERNCONF=YOURKERNEL
> >      # make installworld
> > o  run mergemaster -p
> >      # mergemaster -p
> > o  reboot
> >      # reboot
> >
> >It's fairly straight-forward once you get the gist :)
> >

> Following Adam's suggestion, I have now gotten to the point where I
> rebooted into Single-User Mode, entered the /usr/src directory and then
> entered the command:
> make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
>
> But it almost immediately comes back with errors about the fact that
> certain directories don't exist and problems with the fact that the
> file system is read only.
>
> Perhaps I entered Single User Mode wrong?  On a reboot, I chose not to
> boot into any system, but to go directly to the loader prompt
> (something like that). Then I entered the command: boot -s

Single user mode will, by default, leave you with only your / partition
mounted as read-only.  It does this to protect itself.  You'll need to
remount your partitions with 'mount -a'.  Sorry, I forgot to include that
step :)

--
Adam Smith
Internode       : http://www.internode.on.net

Dog for sale: Eats lots and is fond of children.