Upgrading 5.3-Beta1 to 5.3-RELEASE

Adam Smith adam at internode.com.au
Thu Nov 18 14:34:04 PST 2004

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 12:15:02PM -0800, Curtis Vaughan said:
> Maybe you can disregard that. Looking at "The Complete FreeBSD" I see
> that you can just use GENERIC, if you want. So, I typed:

Oh!  I had just answered, too :-)

> make buildworld KERNCONF=GENERIC
>
> and off it went.
>
> Any reason why I wouldn't want to use GENERIC?  I haven't compiled
> anything special for my kernel.

None at all, except that using GENERIC gives you a base-line kernel to go
back to if you have any problems.  It's a good habit to use a different
file name as your main kernel if you are going to do any kernel changes.

--
Adam Smith
Internode       : http://www.internode.on.net

Dog for sale: Eats lots and is fond of children.