Unable to create the partition. Too big?

David E. Meier dev at eth0.ch
Thu Nov 18 13:28:28 PST 2004

Hi folks,

I am trying to custom partition my 73GB SCSI hard drive using 5.3. When I
first create the partions using the Auto Default option I get the
following table:

amrd0s1a  /        256MB  UFS2   Y
amrd0s1b  swap    2022MB  SWAP
amrd0s1d  /tmp     256MB  UFS2+S Y
amrd0s1e  /var     256MB  UFS2+S Y
amrd0s1g  /usr   67085MB  UFS2+S Y

OK, so far so good but I want bigger /, /tmp and /var partitions. So I
deleted them and recreated them to the following:

amrd0s1b  swap    2022MB  SWAP
amrd0s1a  /        512MB  UFS2   Y
amrd0s1d  /tmp     512MB  UFS2+S Y
amrd0s1e  /var    1024MB  UFS2+S Y

Now, I just cannot create the /usr partition. If fails with: "Unable to
create the partition. Too big?" Although the top line tells me there is
65805MB left which is less than the auto created partition...

Bug or am I missing here something? Thanks. Dave