Upgrading 5.3-Beta1 to 5.3-RELEASE

Curtis Vaughan curtis at npc-usa.com
Thu Nov 18 13:15:18 PST 2004

>  o  update from cvs
>       # cd /usr/src
>       # make update
>  o  build world/kernel in your normal or single-user mode
>       # cd /usr/obj
>       # rm -rf *
>       # cd /usr/src
>       # make buildworld
>       # make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOURKERNEL
>  o  install kernel/world in single user mode
>       # reboot [ Choose single User Mode ]
>       # cd /usr/src
>       # make installkernel KERNCONF=YOURKERNEL
>       # make installworld
>  o  run mergemaster -p
>       # mergemaster -p
>  o  reboot
>       # reboot
>
> It's fairly straight-forward once you get the gist :)

Following Adam's suggestion, I have now gotten to the point where I
rebooted into Single-User Mode, entered the /usr/src directory and then
entered the command:
make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL

But it almost immediately comes back with errors about the fact that
certain directories don't exist and problems with the fact that the
file system is read only.

Perhaps I entered Single User Mode wrong?  On a reboot, I chose not to
boot into any system, but to go directly to the loader prompt
(something like that). Then I entered the command: boot -s

Curtis