sil3112a SATA Controller, current status

Søren Schmidt sos at DeepCore.dk
Thu Nov 18 10:53:53 PST 2004

Maseed wrote:

[SNIP]
> I have to point out in the above e-mail that the problem is not just
> confined to the 36GB Raptor, which might be a PATA drive with a Marvel
> chip to make it work with SATA drives, but it also plages *real*
> native SATA drives as well, since the 74GB Western Digital Raptor I
> have is a true SATA150 drive with TCQ.

Correction, the 74GB Raptor is still not a pure or native SATA device,
it still uses the marvell PATA-SATA converter chip. Its true that it
supports TCQ but thats the same old way as the IBM deathstars used, and
not directly comaprable to the new true SATA NCQ way of things.

> Anyhow, I am wondering if this issue has been resolved yet or not,
> either in FreeBSD-current or 5.3-RELEASE-px. I don't want to discard
> my current OS to install FreeBSD only to find out that the problem is
> still there. If  any sort of error logs or dmesg output is required by
> a potential developer from this setup of mine, I'll go so far as to
> resize my partition and install FreeBSD 5.3 and provide them, but the
> reason why I'm hesitant in doing that is the fact that I run a
> web-server on my computer that cannot stay down for long, as some
> friends of mine depend on it.

If you want 24/7 uptime, you *really* should be bying hardware of a
quality that matches that, the SiI3112 is *not* in that league, not even
close.

--

-Søren