CANNOT SSH to my computer

Ivan Georgiev georgiev at vt.edu
Thu Nov 18 05:43:53 PST 2004

On Thursday 18 November 2004 08:26 am, Daniel Bye wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 07:49:03AM -0500, Ivan Georgiev wrote:
> > I changed PasswordAuthentication to 'yes' and this time it asks me 6
> > times for my password (3 times beginning with "Password:"
>
> You can disable these first three by changing
> ChallengeResponseAuthentication to no.

OK, I changed that to "no".

> > and another 3 times with "Password for xxxx at yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy) and rejects
> > me again with the same message from sshd.
>
> Sounds like a silly question, I know, but are you typing your password
> correctly?  For example, is your local keymap sending the right
> characters to the server?

Well, I tried to type the password on the terminal just to see what I am
typing and everything looks OK. But still no connection ...

> > Adding more verbosity didn't help me to understand the problem. I also
> > noticed that my ida_dsa.pub key ends with "ivan@" . Usualy I have seen
> > it ending with "someone at some_address_here". Is this a problem?
>
> No, I don't think so.  It is just a convenient identifier for human
> consumption - it's somewhat easier to use the last little bit of the key
> than to try and remember the whole keyblock!
>
> Have you copied ida_dsa.pub from the client machine to your
> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file on the server?

No I haven't. I did it and again nothing.
There is something new though. The error message changed and is:

sshd[88938]: error: PAM: success for ivan from XXXXXXXXXX

Ivan