CANNOT SSH to my computer

Daniel Bye freebsd-questions at slightlystrange.org
Thu Nov 18 05:26:06 PST 2004

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 07:49:03AM -0500, Ivan Georgiev wrote:
> I changed PasswordAuthentication to 'yes' and this time it asks me 6
> times for my password (3 times beginning with "Password:"

You can disable these first three by changing
ChallengeResponseAuthentication to no.

> and another 3 times with "Password for xxxx at yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy) and rejects
> me again with the same message from sshd.

Sounds like a silly question, I know, but are you typing your password
correctly?  For example, is your local keymap sending the right
characters to the server?

> Adding more verbosity didn't help me to understand the problem. I also
> noticed that my ida_dsa.pub key ends with "ivan@" . Usualy I have seen
> it ending with "someone at some_address_here". Is this a problem?

No, I don't think so.  It is just a convenient identifier for human
consumption - it's somewhat easier to use the last little bit of the key
than to try and remember the whole keyblock!

Have you copied ida_dsa.pub from the client machine to your
~/.ssh/authorized_keys file on the server?

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3B9D 8BBB EB03 BA83 5DB4 3B88 86FC F03A 90A1 BE8F
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \