bsdlabel messages? (resolved)

Jay O'Brien jayobrien at att.net
Wed Nov 17 23:25:07 PST 2004

I asked about error messages displayed by disklabel; after much on-
line searching, I found that several others reported the same problem;
I couldn't find that any of the others found a resolution. I've found
an answer; it may well be an oversight in bsdlabel and it's MAN file.

Example error messages are as follows:
    partition a: partition extends past end of unit
    partition b: offset past end of unit
    bsdlabel: partition c doesn't start at 0!
    bsdlabel: partition c doesn't cover the whole unit!
    bsdlabel: An incorrect partition c may cause problems for
              standard system utilities

Here's the story for anyone else that may run into the problem.

The command 'disklabel ad0' worked fine in 4.10 using disklabel.
The same command or 'bsdlabel ad0' doesn't work for me in 5.3 using
bsdlabel; instead, I get a "no valid label found" message.

Referring to MAN BSDLABEL, I found that it says to use the command
'bsdlabel disk', where "disk represents the disk in question, and may
be in the form da0 or /dev/da0." Using the da0 form didn't work, so I
arbitrarily tried 'bsdlabel ad0s1a' and got the expected display plus
an additional 17 error lines.

Had I read farther into MAN BSDLABEL, I would have found the example
'bsdlabel da0s1'. That form provides the expected results, without the
extra error lines.

Only the argument 'ad1s1' gives the expected results when using 5.3's
bsdlabel. Using 'ad1s1a' or 'ad1s1c' returns the expected results and
adds troubling additional error lines. Using 'ad0' alone fails.

Disklabel, in 4.10, seems more tolerant of user input, displaying the
correct report when the disk, slice, or any valid partition is used as
the "disk" argument.  Bsdlabel, however, works differently.

If this issue was created to get this new user to experiment and to
Read The Freebsd MANual, it worked. Whew.

Jay O'Brien
Rio Linda, California, USA