sane problems with umax astra 1220u

Robert Marella marella at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Nov 17 22:01:10 PST 2004

Hello

I got lucky this afternoon at a thrift shop. I bought an Umax Astra
1220U for $3 US. It didn't have a USB cable (no problem) nor a power
adapter. I checked the voltage input (12V DC) and knew that I had an old
adapter that would probably work. Long story short, it was the wrong
polarity but I fixed that with a pair of pliers and some electrical
tape.

The unit powers on and is recognized by the OS.

%uname -a
FreeBSD frankie.hawaii.rr.com 5.3-RC1 FreeBSD 5.3-RC1 #1: Fri Oct 29
19:08:41 HST 2004
robert at frankie.hawaii.rr.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/FRANKIE5_3  i386

%dmesg | grep uscanner
uscanner0: UMAX Data Systems Astra 1220U Scanner, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 5

I then installed from ports sane-frontend and sane-backend. When I do
this

%sane-find-scanner

  # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make
sure that
  # you have loaded a SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x1606, product=0x0010) at /dev/uscanner0
  # Your USB scanner was detected. It may or may not be supported by

  # Not checking for parallel port scanners.

  # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary
ports
  # can't be detected by this program.

  # You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once
you
  # found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
  # necessary.

It finds my scanner which matches the vendor and product ID found at
/usr/local/etc/sane.d/umax1220u.conf

I edited the device there so that it reads

%cat /usr/local/etc/sane.d/umax1220u.conf
# Options for the umax1220u backend

# Autodetect the UMAX Astra 1220U
usb 0x1606 0x0010

# The following line enables autodetection for the
# Astra 2000U and Astra 2100U. However, this driver
# isn't entirely compatible, so expect color problems :)
usb 0x1606 0x0030
usb 0x1606 0x0130

# device list for non-linux-systems (enable if autodetect fails):
/dev/uscanner0
#/dev/usb/scanner0

But when I try to run scanimage -L as root I get this

frankie# scanimage -L

The device shows up in /dev as uscanner0 as it should.

frankie# ls -l /dev/u*
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel            6 Nov 17 07:25 /dev/urandom ->
random
crw-rw----  1 root  operator  240, 255 Nov 17 17:25 /dev/usb
crw-rw----  1 root  operator  240,   0 Nov 17 17:25 /dev/usb0
crw-rw----  1 root  operator  240,   1 Nov 17 17:25 /dev/usb1
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  operator  241,   0 Nov 17 17:25 /dev/uscanner0

I have read all the applicable man pages, FAQ's and README's and am at a
loss. This scanner shows as fully supported but I am stuck.

I would think that all is well with my kernel since I do get a /dev
assignment. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I hope I didn't waste $3 :)

TIA
Robert