general questions about FreeBSD

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Tue Nov 16 19:38:23 PST 2004

MIN RO wrote:

>Hello, my name is Min Ro, and I'm writing an English paper on
>open source and its potential benefits to society (not anything
>too heavily in depth) Who may I contact to answer some questions
>about FreeBSD, its community, its influence, etc? Thank you for your time.

Some thoughts for you:

Submit your mail to the advocacy list at freebsd-advocacy at freebsd.org.
You'll get some good responses there, I think....

There are a number of sites dedicated to FreeBSD advocacy
and the like.  A number of them have published interviews with
committers, members of the Project Core Team, FBSD Foundation
officer(s?), and even perhaps with one of the original 3 "godfathers"
of the FBSD Project.  You could probably quote from these interviews
as long as you did your bibliography correctly.  In particular, maybe
daemonnews.org, bsdnews.com, bsdnexus.org.  Probably the best,
however, is the Project's main site ... there is a collection of Press
items you'll see linkage to in one of the sidebars.

Most of the committers have personal web sites, upon which they
might have something you could use.

There are a number of books on FreeBSD that are very popular
among users ... search for "FreeBSD Book" and names like
"Greg Lehey", "Annelise Anderson", "Michael Lucas" ...

O'Reilly just published a pamphlet entitled "BSD Success Stories";
if you check the list archives (for the advocacy list), you can find
someplace to download it.  Might be worth a glance.  There are
some good, short pieces in it, and one awful one ;-)

Google is also your friend ;-)

Good luck!

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.