Getting back my CCD Raid

Gerard Samuel fbsd-questions at trini0.org
Tue Nov 16 17:33:04 PST 2004

I had a ccd raid 0 drive setup under 4.10.
I did a fresh install of 5.3, with the thought, that I could just
reenable the settings for the ccd drive, to bring it back to life
with its data intact.

1.  Added "device          ccd" to the kernel and rebuilt it.
2.  Verified that the disklabels are intact for the drives ad0/ad2
# /dev/ad0:
8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  c: 53464320        0    unused        0     0         # "raw" part,
don't edit
  e: 53464320        0    4.2BSD        0     0     0

# /dev/ad2:
8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  c: 53464320        0    unused        0     0         # "raw" part,
don't edit
  e: 53464320        0    4.2BSD        0     0     0

3.  Ran "ccdconfig ccd0 32 0 /dev/ad0e /dev/ad2e"
4.  Ran "ccdconfig -g > /etc/ccd.conf"
5.  Try mounting the ccd with "mount /dev/ccd0c /storage" and I get
mount: /dev/ccd0c: No such file or directory

The device does exist ->
hivemind# ls -al /dev/ccd*
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    4,  49 Nov 16 19:16 /dev/ccd0

I even tried configuring the drive before mounting but ->
hivemind# ccdconfig -C
ccdconfig: Unit 0 already configured
or possibly kernel and ccdconfig out of sync

Could someone point out to me, what Im doing wrong?
Or is it even possible to achieve the results that Im looking for?
Should I be reconstructing the raid from scratch, deleting the data on them?

Thanks