MPSAFE - Warning

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Tue Nov 16 12:27:35 PST 2004

On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 10:14:31PM -0800, Matthew T. Lager wrote:
> I too receive this error. I require the use of KAME IPSEC. Basiclly,
> services such as IPV6 and IPSEC require the kernel to be GIANT locked,
> which is incompatable with MPSAFE. 5.3 forces MPSAFE to 0 if the system is
> GIANT locked, hence the warning.
>
> I backed down to 5.2.1 and ran IPSEC with no problems.

Just to be clear, there's no danger in running IPv6 or KAME IPSEC in
5.3, you just won't get any benefits from running it on a SMP machine
(neither will you in 5.2.1 or 4.x).

> I actually did
> experience many issues with my IPSEC tunnel in 5.3.

Any problems you observed are presumably orthogonal to the Giant-ness,
so you ideally should report them so they can be analyzed.

Kris