NFS Serving Ext2 Partition

Loren M. Lang lorenl at alzatex.com
Tue Nov 16 01:12:45 PST 2004

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 10:19:07PM -0800, Loren M. Lang wrote:
> Does FreeBSD not support exporting the ext2 filesystem over NFS?  I've
> tried the following lines one at a time and both / and /mnt worked, but
> /mnt/oldhome gave a permission denied error on the clients:
>
> /             192.168.1.2 192.168.1.3
> /mnt          192.168.1.2 192.168.1.3
> /mnt/oldhome  192.168.1.2 192.168.1.3
>
> / and /mnt are both on the root partition formatted as UFS2 and
> /mnt/oldhome is a linux ext3 partition mounted as ext2.  The server is
> running FreeBSD 5.3 and the clients are running FreeBSD 5.3 and Red Hat
> Linux 9.

An update to this, when I tried to start and stop mountd by hand, I got
an error from mountd saying it couldn't export the mount point when I had
the line:

 /mnt/oldhome  192.168.1.2 192.168.1.3

but not when I changed the line to:

/mnt          192.168.1.2 192.168.1.3

Also, everytime I got that error there was a kernel message generated
about ext2fs not supporting the old mount system call so I think the
problem is definitely in the ext2 filesystem code.  Is this a bug or
just a feature not supported by the ext2 filesystem.  If it's just a
bug, is there any way around it?