Where can I find those various make arguments (e.g. install, search, maintainer, build)

Danny MacMillan flowers at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Nov 15 22:02:42 PST 2004

On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 08:34:58PM -0700, Mark Jayson Alvarez wrote:
> I want to know where can I find those various make
> arguments. For example, when invoking 'make search
> key=.." while inside /usr/ports, I can easily locate
> the ports I am looking for. I want to know what else
> can I 'make' aside from:
>
> search key="value"
> install
> buildkernel
> buildworld
> maintainer
> clean
>
> Kindly point me to a manual or something these various
> options or arguments of 'make" are defined.

Technically, what you're asking about is make targets.  These
are defined in, and completely dependent on, the makefile, not
make itself.  Within the ports tree, a system of makefiles
provides the targets you list above and others.  A complete
list is in ports(7).

You can also read the makefiles themselves.  make(1) will help
you decipher them.

--
Danny