help please

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Mon Nov 15 12:27:34 PST 2004

On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 01:57:13PM -0500, Aaron Carranza wrote:
> I installed freebsd version 4.9, but for some reason I can't download any
> packages from any website, version 4.8 also gives me the same problem. Why
> is this happening?

For space reasons packages for old releases are not kept on the main
ftp site.  They may still be found on mirror sites, so you can look
around and set the environment variables described in the pkg_add(1)
manpage to fetch from a mirror once you find one that still carries
the packages.  The website http://www.freebsdmirrors.org/ used to list
mirrors carrying various old releases, but this seems not to be alive
at the moment.

Kris