Wondering if this is a common error

New Age Affiliation, Inc. newageaffiliation at charter.net
Mon Nov 15 08:36:32 PST 2004

      Thank you for writing back so quickly that was actually unexpected and
quit surprising. I did find out how they worked in time yet now I have a new
problem. For some reason the 5.3 release will not boot right. (5.2.1 Will
work though)

I will give you an idea of the system I am running it on.

Pc Type: Laptop

CPU: i586 Pentium 133

Memory: 80 Megs (modified from org setup)

Hard Drive (custom install will give further information later)

Laptop Model: Fujitsu Lifebook 530T

Everything is pretty much standard in this laptop besides the added memory I
put in and the larger disk drive which does work with 4.7 - 4.10 and in the
5 series it looks like *installing now* that the 5.2.1 works as well.

Just so you know off start it's not the floppies I have used because I did
get a working install on my windows pc running virtual pc. I cannot get
FreeBSD CD's to boot for some reason yet windows will boot... probably the
laptops own error.

I notice on the 5.3 that it will not find the hard disk or cd-rom from what
I can make of it. Says something about DMA and retries 2. If need be I will
run the disk for you to better copy the error. The boot will bring up
"sysinstall" but since it can't see the hard drives I am better of making
the beeps into a music play.

Now that I have 5.2.1 Installed onto my system and I find it works... that
only leads me to believe perhaps something is not right in the 5.3. I went
thru the Bios like crazy changing all sorts of things and even bringing it
up in a bare minimal environment. Still same error no matter what I tried.

I would like to give you this information not to complain at all. Like I
said before I love FreeBSD. I just wouldn't like to see someone else have
the same problem and I would like to see FreeBSD still keep it's name in
being able to run on so many platforms.

Thank you for your time and if you need more information on that error I
would be more then happy to run it again on the laptop it is just a training
unit and play around toy for my FreeBSD experiments. Again Thank you very
much!

      ~ Drpcubie ~