Unable to Install 5.3 SPARC on Sun Fire V100

Scott Rossillo scott at rossillo.net
Mon Nov 15 07:08:47 PST 2004

Hello,

I am having a problem installing FreeBSD 5.3 onto a Sun Fire v100 server
with one IDE disk /dev/ad0.

When I try to write the new filesystem layout to disk, it gives me the error:

Unable to make new root filesystem on /dev/ad0a!
Command returned status 36

Not sure what the problem is.  Solaris 10 installs fine on this same
machine.  Additionally, I have an Ultra 5 running FreeBSD 5.3 which
installed without issue.

When laying out the disk on the v100 I tried doing both a custom and auto
layout, both fail to write to disk and I have to abort the installation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Scott