Panic under heavy HTTP load?

Henrik W Lund henrik.w.lund at broadpark.no
Sun Nov 14 20:50:45 GMT 2004

Subhro wrote:

> <snip>
>
> Can we have a package list i.e. the output of pkg_info?
>
> Also can u provide ps -aux as root just before the box freezes.... or when
> it is expected to freeze?
>
> In that case I would try to reproduce the same on some older hardware.
>
> Subhro Sankha Kar
> Block AQ-13/1, Sector V
> Salt Lake City
> PIN 700091
> India

I've attached the package list as you required. The attached
ps_aux_output shows the processes that were running the last time the
freeze occurred. I was skipping back and forth in a track on xmms while
mozilla and gtk-gnutella were just sitting there, and the system just froze.

The first time it froze, all of the same processes were running, except
xmms, and I was browsing a webpage in mozilla (a webpage that was heavy
on JavaScript), while gtk-gnutella was just sitting there.

However, while trying to reproduce the freeze, I downloaded several
files from gtk-gnutella and browsed quite a bit without the freeze ever
occuring. But when I whipped up xmms - boom, freeze. I've been doing
some reading, and it seems that gtk-gnutella computes some sort of
hashes for filenames when it's idle. Maybe this is where the error
occurs? Rapid, successive calls to stat() maybe? I don't know...

If you need any more info, I'll provide what I can. I'll also continue
trying to reproduce the freeze and report anything I think may be of
relevance.

Something just occurred to me: my gtk-gnutella is linked with gtk2, not
gtk1, which is the default. Maybe I should try to recompile and link
with gkt1?

--
Henrik W Lund