rebuild problems

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Sun Nov 14 19:21:08 GMT 2004

I'm trying to get myself back on the FreeBSD bus after a long while off to
the side (on a bad track named Linux).  I'm taking my FreeBSD-5.1 system,
I cvsupped it, and I'm trying to get it back to current, and having some
problems.  I am hitting some problems, and i don't want to have a panic
here, so I'm going to ask some questions I would have considered (2 years
ago) as being dumb ... please put up with this a little.

I finished the cvsup, rebuilt everything, and it built fine, but on
rebooting, it panics, something about reading a zero at address zero (I
can't copy this).  I figured, just recompile the kernel ... so, I had to
actually install config, which meant I had to actually install libc ..
done, no problem so far.  I did the config on the new config file, but
when I cd'ed to the kernel build dir and did the make depend, it came back
with a couple of unfamiliar errors:

=====error lines====================
make _kernel-depend
cc -c -O2 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -Wall -Wredundant-decls
-Wnested-externs -Ws
trict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual
-fform
at-extensions -std=c99 -g -nostdinc -I- -I. -I../../..
-I../../../contrib/dev/acp
ica -I../../../contrib/altq -I../../../contrib/ipfilter
-I../../../contrib/pf -I.
./../../contrib/dev/ath -I../../../contrib/dev/ath/freebsd
-I../../../contrib/nga
tm -D_KERNEL -include opt_global.h -finline-limit=8000 --param
inline-unit-growth
=100 --param large-function-growth=1000 -mno-align-long-strings
-mpreferred-stack
-boundary=2 -ffreestanding ../../../i386/i386/genassym.c
cc1: error: invalid parameter `inline-unit-growth'
cc1: error: invalid parameter `large-function-growth'
===========end error lines===================

Do I need to install gcc?  the gcc in my existing system is 3.3.3, I went
into the obj's and I *think* the newer compiler is 3.4.2 ... and I don't
think there's any way to run them both right now.  I really need to get
this done today, so a prompt guess is better for me than better accuracy
on next Tuesday, if you understand.

Thanks, folks.  If I get this done, I need to get it done right
afterrwards for (believe this!) my Opteron and my Sun Ultra60.  Quiet day
i got planned (see the smoke clouds?)

Chuck Robey         | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr at chuckr.org   | electronics, communications, and SF/Fantasy.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary (on the wall at my old fraternity,
Signa Phi Nothing).