help.....need help....

Subhro subhro.kar at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 16:55:17 GMT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org] On Behalf Of T.F. Cheng
Sent: Sunday, November 14, 2004 20:46
To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
Subject: help.....need help....

hi, i just switched to freebsd5.3 from 4.8 by a clean
install, and now i am in the middle of rebuilding
everything. Now there are 2 problems and I kinda get
bumped out.
(1) no sound, my sound module is SiS7018 onboard on
A7S-VM m-board. I have read some articles and added
"device  sound" "device   snd_sbc" to my kernel. I
guess that sbc is not correct, but I also tried
"snd_pcm" or"pcm", then I realized that 5.3 has
removed "pcm", anyway, i have no idea what to do
now...
(2) no network, I had network up and going when I
first finished the installation (rl0 device). But then
it happened after I reboot my machine because of
adding sound device into my kernel config file (and of
course, that failed), besides compiling kernel, I was
also compiling firefox and xmovie (this has failed
too). The booting process looked fine, rl0 was
detected and also ifconfig looks fine, the interface
is "active", so the only question is that it's not!

Let us have a look at dmesg -a  and your kernel config file in case you are
*not* running a stock kernel.

Regards
S.

Subhro Sankha Kar