host name lookup failure under 4.9

Emil Khatib fenomenoxp2 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 14:16:28 GMT 2004

Hi list, I've recently installed FreeBSD 4.9 and set up ppp to connect
to the Internet. Before recompiling the kernel everything went just
fine after writing the ip adresses of my primary and secondary
nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf. Then I recompiled the kernel and
added IPFIREWALL , IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE, IPV6FIREWALL,
IPV6FIREWALL_VERBOSE and IPFW2 to GENERIC. I recompiled also libalias
and ipfw, so everything worked fine. But when i got online, I couldn't
manage to resolve ip adresses. everytime I do ping www.google.com I
get "Host name lookup failure". It's quite frustrating really... I've
checked resolv.conf, host.conf and ppp.conf and everything is correct
(or at least, it worked before recompiling). The firewall rules are:

pass udp from me to any 53 keep-state
pass tcp from me to any 20 keep-state
pass tcp from me to any 21 keep-state
pass tcp from me to any 80 keep-state