Root login at console

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sat Nov 13 08:41:46 GMT 2004

Not exactly, depends on the version.  On FBSD version 10, in the /etc/ttys
file the following line is present:

# If console is marked "insecure", then init will ask for the root password
# when going to single-user mode.

Perhaps if you use something other than secure or insecure, init won't ask
for the root password?  I don't know, never tried it.  Insecure is what has
been used in the past, by convention, if your not using 'secure'  Possibly
to make things more obvious?

Ted