problems with sound :[

jason jason at ec.rr.com
Fri Nov 12 19:13:15 PST 2004

Danny MacMillan wrote:

>On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 05:27:27PM -0700, eodyna wrote:
>

>>Hi all
>>
>>thank-you ohh so much for your help thus far!
>>It was indeed that little cable. When i looked it
>>didn't exist :) [not very good with hardware] i will
>>need to buy one and try that out!
>>

>In the meantime, I think there are other applications that play
>CDs the hard way, especially as evidenced by Jason's post.  I
>don't know what they are, as  I've actually never played an
>audio CD in any of my FreeBSD boxes.

Opps, I should have just told you how I do it to begin with.  I can use
any app, put it is usually xmms.  I config the player to play from
/dev/acd0 and use digital audio only.  I added a group called cd_access
that could access and mount drives(cd drives only I think) and made my
self a group member. I set vfs.usermount = 1 under sysctl.config.  I added

own    /dev/acd0    root:cd_access
perm    /dev/acd0    0770

to devfs.conf.  I set this up when I was much newer to BSD, I think I
may have the wrong permissions.  Anyone see a problem?  I can also mount
cds to any dir I own without any su or sudo stuff.  I can also burncds
to with this set up.  When I was really new I had to run xmms as root to
get it to play cds, which is why I found this group stuff out so I would
not need to run xmms as root.

This should be in the handbook, anyone else think so?