Everything randomly generates .core files

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Nov 12 18:26:32 GMT 2004

Eric Schuele wrote:
> I'm having some difficulties with 5.3-RELEASE.  I have made a fresh
> install from the iso image I downloaded.  Formatted the entire drive,
> just to make sure it was clean.  I have installed everything of interest
> via the ports tree.  But many things seem to fail randomly.  I can use
> xfe for a while, then blip its gone.  pptpclient is the same.  Fluxbox
> generates .core files as well... but its never shutdown on me.  xprop
> has generated a few too.  Doesn't seem to be any one app.

This certainly sounds like a hardware issue like overheating or RAM going bad.
  Try running www.memtest.org overnight and see whether it finds anything.

> I was previously using 5.3-BETA7 and did not have these problems.  The
> only thing I did different this time was to make things from the ports
> tree instead of pkg_add everything.

There shouldn't be a difference between the two, unless you've set up unusual
compiler flags.  Check the messages under /var/log, are you seeing SIGILLs
(signal #4), or SIGSEGVs (#11)?  If you are seeing signal 4's, and you
compiled with -march=XXX, where XXX is not appropriate for your CPU, well,
don't do that.  :-)

> (Sorry if this message is not wrapped at 72 char... thunderbird is
> wrapping it in the gui... but not in the message!?!?)

It was fine, although the consideration is appreciated.  Your MUA is creating
messages using:

...which contains text properly wrapped for the 80-column crowd.

--
-Chuck