Postfix does not log

Aaron Nichols adnichols at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 16:47:13 GMT 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:00:35 +0200, Ksenia Marasanova
<ksenia.marasanova at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need some help with Postfix, but I am asking it here, because I am
> not sure what causes the problem - Postfix or syslog.

Have you tried defining the following (yes, they are the defaults I
know) in your main.cf?

syslog_facility = mail
syslog_name = postfix

Also - you could try adding a line to your syslog.conf that looks
something like (correct me if I'm wrong on this folks - I've never
tried this):

!postfix
*.*                                           /var/log/postfix.log
(don't copy & paste this btw - it'll break syslog)

While it's not the "right" way to log mail events - it would catch
messages if they are being sent to the wrong facility, etc.

If you shutdown postfix and fire up sendmail (if possible) do you get
anything in maillog? This may help indicate if the problem is syslog
or postfix.

Aaron